Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mas, Que Nada

Since this is the first post, it is, appropriately, about nothing. But I forge ahead and run my Internet mouth, nonetheless. So, basically, if you are a fan of the television show Mad Men or have a passion for mid-century and 1960's American design, fashion, food, drinks, pop culture, etc. you have come to the right place. I adore these things and mourn the fact that we have, as a society, moved away from those salad days.
I think we were oddly naive at the time. There was a lot of social change and, as a nation, we were marching forward into our 'teens. Fashion began to change radically. Food was becoming more adventurous. Cocktails ... well, there were a lot of cocktails. It was a fascinating time. I look at it fondly and strive to incorporate as much of it into my daily life as I can.
Bypassing all the racism and sexism, you can see the appeal. Not that any of that didn't exist, nor am I excusing any of it. As glamorous as Jon Hamm and Christina Hendricks make the time look, there was an ugly side. We are fortunate to be a little more conscious of these things. Each day we chose to not be pigs to our fellow man (and woman) and I think we can elaborate on that by pulling from the more genteel aspects of life in that time.
Our society is woefully loose with etiquette. "Women's Lib" is one thing, but there's nothing wrong with a chivalrous man. And ladies, it can be very empowering to full accept your femininity. It's the one weapon we do not share with men. And men, dressing like a man can be very persuasive. I think you know what I mean.

Well, my glass of wine is almost empty, so I think I'll wrap this up. You probably have a good grasp on what I want to accomplish here, so my job is done. Cheers.

                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment